The Portland Shambhala Center is a volunteer run organization. With the exception of a few key administrative positions, the volunteer service of our members and friends is what keeps our Center going.
At this center, sometimes we also refer to volunteering as work practice because volunteering can be an opportunity for meditation in action. Volunteering is very personal—it depends not only on your strengths and what you can do, but also on what you aspire to do. It is an opportunity to join practice with service, and can begin with your inspiration and aspirations and develop as you and your aspirations evolve.
Volunteers are organized into the following areas:
- Culture and Decorum
- Dorje Kasung
- Governing Council
- Practice and Education
- Shambhala Dharma Arts Council
- Societal Health and Wellbeing
There are many different opportunities available, from occasional event staffing to holding a key leadership role requiring a significant time commitment. Relevant training is provided. Please see below for featured open volunteer positions:
- The Finance Director holds the Shambhala view of money as well as knowledge and experience of accepted standards of accounting and budgets. The Finance Director provides accounting and reporting expertise for PSMC with responsibility for management of all accounting functions. The Finance Director serves on the Portland Shambhala Governing Council.
- Program Registrars greet and welcome program participants. Additionally, they take tuition payments and keep accurate records of arrivals and payments which are communicated to the Program Coordinator at the end of the registration period.
- The Hospitality Manager keeps an eye on the both the hospitality budget and the hospitality supplies, ensuring that the Center is stocked with amenities to make generous offerings to our guests.
- The Kitchen Manager helps organize and maintain the Shambhala Kitchen space in a way that is welcoming for everyone to use and respectful of our neighbors in the building.
For questions about the positions listed on these pages or to set up a volunteer check-in meeting, please contact Volunteer Coordinator Abbey Pleviak: email@example.com or 503-231-4971.