Let us cultivate a culture of kindness. In that moment we are determining the outcome of the world. – Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche
Shambhala is a global network of people who have confidence in the fundamental goodness and worthiness of humanity, and the power of that to shift the social and environmental dynamics of our planet.
Everyone is welcome to attend community events and programs – there is no requirement to become a member to participate, through advanced classes do have prerequisites. Meditation instruction, public meditation, and some introductory offerings are available without charge, though donations are certainly appreciated.
As we become more involved, membership offers a way to practice generosity in support of Shambhala principles and practices. There are four aspects of membership:
- The Practice of Community / Society: Shambhala is a community that practices the teachings on basic goodness, and explores and develops a culture within our communities that embodies that profound principle. Membership invites active engagement in contemplating and building a different kind of society altogether.
- Meditation Practice: A member of Shambhala makes a connection to mindfulness-awareness practice, and works to integrate that practice into daily life in order to create a foundation for healthy social relationships and an enlightened society. This connection may also be made through contemplative practices based on mindfulness-awareness.
- Volunteer Service: A large majority of Shambhala activities are conducted by volunteers, and there are many ways to help. Members donate time to the local center based on their interests and personal availability.
- Financial Support: Shambhala is sustained through dues and donations. When you become a member, your financial contributions support the maintenance and growth of our center as well as the international Shambhala community.
Membership is open to anyone from any background, culture, faith or walk of life – all are welcome!
If you would like to become a member, or have questions about membership, contact our membership coordinator.
What are the benefits of membership?
Connecting with our community by becoming a member helps support your practice and strengthen your understanding of Shambhala Buddhism in many ways:
- Ongoing meditation instruction with a personal meditation instructor
- Automatic membership in Shambhala’s world-wide network
- Access to member resources at www.shambhala.org
- Access to the Irene Lundquist Memorial Scholarship Fund — a needs-based student scholarship fund for community members to deepen their study by attending major programs such as dathun and seminary.
- Access to the Shambhala People of Color Scholarship Fund.
- Eligibility to participate in the Center’s governance
- The merit of helping the profound tradition of meditation continue to survive and flourish.
Becoming a Member
We are delighted to welcome you into the Shambhala Community. As you join our community and complete the membership form (online or in person at the Shambhala Center), consider the several aspects of membership including setting up your monthly dues. Please contact the membership coordinator to let us know if you’d like to talk with someone from the membership team about dues options. Once your dues donation is set up, you’ll get a notice that your membership is fully activated.
The recommended guidelines for the basic level of support to help cover our operating expense is $35 per month for Individuals, $70 for Families (persons related by blood or affection; including dependent children). However each person decides what the most generous offering is that they can make. Some pay more, some less; the minimum is $5 per month. Every level of support is helpful and appreciated. To manage your dues at any time, this secure dues and donation page. (You will need to create a profile there, too.)
If you have any further questions about membership, please contact: